Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Internet, to be or not to be?

This is a post by Angie:

Ok, so soon after I wrote my last rant about freedom of speech on the net, I started reading Online News, the required text for the class. In the first chapter Allen quotes Elmer-Dewitt who gives his account of the internet. He calls the internet largely unedited with content that is tasteless, foolish, uninteresting and sometimes plain wrong. Now I understand that many things on the net do have their flaws. I am not saying that we should not asses the information that we get off of the net critically, but the internet is one of the most useful tools in the world. The internet is used for so many important things in our lives and if it were to just disappear tomorrow, we would all be lost. Elmer-Dewitt mentions that the internet is too hard to navigate. I can see how someone who did not grow up with the internet could have a hard time navigating, but really all you have to do is read and click, the rest of the work is done for you. Basically, I disagree with a lot of the things that Elmer-Dewitt says about the internet and I bet if he attempted to become a little more knowledgeable about the internet, he wouldn’t be so against it. So, I guess it’s not to be for Elmer-Dewitt and the internet.

No comments: