Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Freedom of Speech

This is a post by Angie

I heard a few people in the class talking about allternet.org and that being a good place to read up on what’s going on in the news, so I decided to check it out. I started reading an article about Bob Johnson, the founder of the BET Network, coming on stage at a rally to introduce Sen. Clinton and in doing so he made a reference to Sen. Obama’s former drug use when he was young. You can check out the article here.

Davey D, the author of this article starts off by calling Bob Johnson an asshole and a hypocrite. He goes on to tell the reader that he is not apologetic for his use of language and that if they don’t like it, they don’t have to read. I was so happy to read this; this lets me know that there is hope for freedom of speech after all. I get so tired of reading writing that is always politely trying to make a point. I wish more writers would just get on with it and say what they mean to say. I think that is what is so appealing to me about internet publications. You can go against the norms of traditional journalism, branch out, and say what you want to say, how you want to say it. If people don’t like what they are reading, they are always free to click on something else.

No comments: